Sunday, March 1, 2009

Thing 8: Communication Web 2.0 Style

New innovations all the time, e.g. wifi capabilities which allow you to see a map and locate people on your buddy lists (I think that's a little creepy, personally.) Meetro is a service that encourages people in the same area to communicate with each other. It never occurred to me that a gadget would try to introduce me to someone I didn't know.

Some popular ones: Google Talk, Yahoo! Instant Messenger, AOL Instant Messenger.

I added the gadget below so that I could start instant messaging.

I'm now reading an article from May, 2005 of the Smart Libraries Newsletter that Innovative Interfaces Inc. is including IM in their Millenium library automation system. Patrons will be IMed when their information is located. Sounds good. It looks as though other vendors and integrating IM into their software as well. I didn't know that Google has an instant messaging service for certain information, either.

Google Talk is not working for me. There's a gadget on my homepage now, but when I try to add an address, it gets stuck on the "loading. . . " screen. I'll try Windows Messenger.

2) Web Conferencing: I like the idea of using web conferencing to learn software applications. I find it so hard to learn computer skills from a DVD, much less a book. I imagine that the skills of the presenter have to be very good.

Other notes: Meebo is an IM aggregator that allows you to chat with all accts. at once.

Twitter: Called a "micro-blogging" tool. I am amazed at the ways people can use their time with this stuff! The scary part is that people can look up what you've twittered. Employers are using twitter search to check on applicants. I just want my privacy. I bet if this technology had come around when I was in my early twenties, I'd be all over it, though.

1 comment:

Juli Davis said...

Privacy is a huge issue when it comes to a lot of the open source, web-based social networking tools. Fortunately for those who DO want a little privacy, there are settings that allow for some filtering.

Keep up the great work and keep it up! :)