Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Thing 17: Podcasts

Something I did not know: Podcasts are different from other forms of digital media in that they can be syndicated, subscribed to, and downloaded when new content is added.

You need a "podcatcher" to capture the shows. itunes is one example.

http://podcast.com/: You can look up podcasts by subject. I started listening to a few: one from the Economist, one from Bloomberg news, one from the Onion, and a few from Entertainment.

http://podcastalley.com/ doesn't really appeal. Not so user friendly.

Yahoo Search: Mostly music here. Why am I having a hard time finding what I want?

Here is a very interesting news story I heard yesterday: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102243287

I think I prefer www.podcast.com in terms of searching. However, I just tried to sign up, then went to sign in, and was unable to do so. Errrg. I have spent too much time on it. In addition, "webpage cannot be displayed" keeps coming up in the middle of everything. I am going to put it to bed for now.

Back agian (the next day). I am going to have to leave podcast.com behind. Though I've signed up, I can't sign in. I get a message that this acct. is not active at this time. When I try to sign up using the same email, the system won't let me. I tried using a different email. I hit submit and nothing happens. I downloaded the newest Flash. Still nothing happened. ERRRRGGGHHH. I'm going to podcast alley.

I'm going back to podcast.com because the podcast I want isn't available, at least I can't find it on podcast alley.

My Yahoo mail is still down, but I set up an acct. using my work mail. I got in there and finally activated it.

I tried signing up AGAIN. This time the only thing I did differently was to say I had a certain kind of cell phone. It let me in!!! ??? Oh no. It is again saying my acct. is not active. I don't see where to go to remedy this. I left a comment.

Back to podcast alley. I signed up, but now my Yahoo mail page won't open so that I can activate my acct. This is by far the most frustrating Thing.

My Yahoo mail is still down, but I set up an acct. using my work mail. I got in there and finally activated my www.podcast.com acct. FINALLY. Here is my link!



Despite the frustration I've had with this, I am very enthusiastic about doing podcasts with the teens in our library. Specifically, I would like to use it with our book club and with a poetry group that is starting up.

No comments: