Sunday, April 5, 2009

Thing 18: Facebook and MySpace

I am going to visit MySpace and various libary MySpace pages. I just tried to sign up, but I haven't received the link in my email yet. In the meantime, this is what some libraries are doing:
Alachua County: In January, they had an African American Read-In with leaders in the community performing readings. What a good idea.One of their videos shows there digital book mobile. Wow. In another, homeschooled children show how they use on line library resources like databases and Ask-A-Librarian while outside on their farm. They also show the kids doing farm chores while listening to downloaded books. What a great promotional tool. In the teen area, they have a Shelfari, a bookshelf that allows you to click on the book displayed and see a synopsis and reviews.ACLD teen scene has 55 friends. One of them is Teen Ink. Teens can click on their link and upload art there that they want to show. Pretty cool.

Jacksonville Public Library: The Teen Department has some cool programs. One that I like is the Call of the Wild book discussion and movie with Klondike bars.Their disclaimer pretty much covers everything.The winner of their Ask-A-Librarian You Tube contest did an incredible job with animation.The movie trailer for Inkheart looks great.On the randomized Friend Space, one teen was called himself Juan Badd Azz and one Friend had a photo of her giving the finger. I imagine that monitoring and removing inappropriate things would be one of the drawbacks of having a MySpace page. It could get tricky.

Pasco Libraries: Here is an example of a MySpace page being used to rally support the library in hard economic times. A large headline proclaims that, due to dwindling funds, this might be the last year for Battle of the Bands. They ask for help from sponsors and someone comments that he will be starting a petiton to keep it going. Participants are talking to each other about music and who's playing.

AskaLibrarian: Has links to LitFinder, Florida on Florida, and Net Library. You can find out about many other libraries by clicking on on of thier 1,972 friends.

Though I am not very interested in using MySpace for myself, I can see what a great marketing tool it appears to be for libraries. How much traffic there is, I don't know, but I got excited looking at all the programming. For someone who hasn't been to the library in a while, this is a great way to see how libraries have really changed.

Facebook may be better to join for professional reasons, but I am really not interested in posting a bunch of stuff about myself. I don't know why I'm so private when it comes to that.

No comments: