Monday, March 16, 2009

Thing 12: Wikis

I think that the St. Joseph's Public Library System wiki is an awesome example of what a library can do to meet users where they are. There is so much, yet it's all relevant and organized. I think a lot of information overload is caused by the fact that, yes, there are lots of great sources out there, but they are recommended here and there and you end up with a huge pile. On the SJPLS wiki, you can see all kinds of info on, e.g. biography, and it's all easy to look through. You don't get lost because it's all consolidated.

Library Success: A Best Practices Wiki: Wow! Great, but overwhelming! I feel so behind in all things library! I found this, though: a link to a blog called EZ Library Programs for all ages. You have four categories with which to search: Topic, Audience, Program Type, and Cost. I chose "food," "teens," "instructional" and "$21 - $40". I got a result of 3 programs. Two were about microwaving, and one was called, "Sushi with Hostess Cakes and Other Creative Ideas." I never would have thought of that one! This site has everything imaginable having to do with librarianship: This one has been bookmarked on Delicious!

No comments: