Tuesday, November 20, 2007

My Arm is Numb

I've been trying to learn about mashups and Second Life this morning. I tried to participate in a mashup which allows your flickr photos to be placed on a map. However, the second party had no information on their website on how to do so. I'm wondering if it's something you have to pay for. I emailed them to please explain a little about how the two applications work together.

I tried another mashup called retrievr. This site allows you to draw a picture and then it retreives flicker images that resemble what you've drawn. It is very crude in that what you draw usually ends up looking like a big blob. If you're looking for retrieving something specific, it's not very effective.

I tried to go to another mashup, Big Huge Labs, which allows you to take photos from flickr and make inspirational posters or press badges, etc. However, when I put in all the information and pressed "create," nothing happened. I think it may be something with my computer, because the same thing was happening in Second Life when I tried to sign up there. I had been interested to see how much a press badge or poster would cost.

Last week, I went to a mashup called Zazzle. On that site, you can make a sticker out of a flickr photo, but it costs $4.95. Yikes!

No comments: